The Worship course is intended to help Certified Lay Ministry (CLM) students accomplish the following:
- Understand that designing and leading corporate worship is to be guided by the Holy Spirit.
- Gain knowledge of the elements and order of worship outlined in The United Methodist Book of Worship.
- Understand the importance of spiritual disciplines used in designing Spirit-led worship through Scripture, prayer, contemplation, other texts, singing.
- Develop practical applications for designing and leading thematic worship.
Hickman, Hoyt L. Worshiping With United Methodists: A Guide for Pastors and Church Leaders. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2007. ISBN: 9780687335268
The United Methodist Book of Worship. Nashville: The United Methodist Publishing House, 1992.
Bible, multiple translations suggested.
The United Methodist Hymnal. Nashville: The United Methodist Publishing House, 1989.
The Faith We Sing. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2000.
Worship & Song, Leader's Edition. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2011. ISBN: 978-1-426- 70994-4
Online meetings: Class meets online each Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. Central time. A high-speed internet connection and a webcam are highly recommended.
- Facilitator: Abby Caseman